Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Overseas Police clearance

If you are seeking New Zealand teacher registration or a practising certificate, you will need to provide an overseas police clearance if you have lived in any country other than New Zealand for 12 months or more within the last 10 years.

Here you’ll find contact details for various countries and how they issue police clearances.


Apply to Australia Federal Police, Criminal Records, Locked Bag 8550, Canberra, ACT 2601, Australia. Request a National Police Check and ensure you enter Code Number 21. We require a ‘Complete Disclosure’ check. If you receive a ‘Partial Disclosure’ or ‘Standard Disclosure’ check, please contact us at and ask for a statutory declaration to complete. We will accept this in combination with your Partial or Standard Disclosure check. See the Australian Federal Police website.


Apply to your local police agency and request a check against the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) or Canadian Police Information Centre (CIPC) database. If possible, please request a Vulnerable Sector Check. See the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.


Apply to the Officer in Charge, CID, Police Headquarters, Suva, Fiji. Request a police certificate to be forwarded direct to the Education Council and provide our postal address: Education Council, PO Box 5326, Wellington 6145, New Zealand.


From outside Ireland contact the Chief Superintendant Liaison and Protection Garda Headquarters, Phoenix Park, Dublin 8, Ireland. From Ireland, go in person to your local Garda station and request a police certificate of good character.


From New Zealand, contact the Embassy of Japan, PO Box 6340, Wellington, New Zealand

From Tokyo, contact the Tokyo Public Safety Division, Metropolitan Police Department, 2-1-1, Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-Ku, Tokyo.

From elsewhere in Japan, visit our local Prefectural Police Office and request a 'No Criminal Record Certificate' (NCRC) 'Police Clearance' (Keisatsu Shomeisho, Hanzai Keirei Shomeisho or Muchanzai Shomeisho)


Request a ‘Certificate of No Criminal Conviction’ (CNCC).

From Singapore, apply in person at the CNCC Office, Police Cantonment Complex, Blk D#02-01A, 391 New Bridge Road, Singapore 088762.

From New Zealand, contact the Singapore High Commission, 17 Kabul Street, Khandallah, Wellington, New Zealand.

See the Singapore Police Force website for more information

South Africa

Apply to The Commissioner, Criminal Bureau, Security Branch, South African Police, Private Bag 308, Pretoria, 0001, Republic of South Africa. Request a police certificate.


Apply to the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACRO), P O Box 481, Fareham, PO14 9FS, UK for an International Child Protection Certificate. Further information is available from their website: ACRO - International Child Protection Certificate. Note: We may accept standard or enhanced disclosures issued through Disclosure Scotland if this has been issued for teaching employment. However, the disclosure must cover the entire period of time you were living in the UK.


Apply for a FBI identification record to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Attn: Identification Division, 1000 Hollow Custer Road, Clarksburgh, West Virginia 26306, USA. See the FBI IDHSC website for more information.

Please be aware that when obtaining an electronic FBI identification record you can forward on the email from the FBI to the Council at:, which will be verified and attached to your application record in place of a certified copy being provided.

Hong Kong

Hong Kong police authorities require a letter of confirmation from the Education Council that a police certificate is required for the purposes of registration in New Zealand. You will need to submit your application for registration to the Education Council before we can issue you with this letter.

Once the Education Council has sent you the letter to send to the Hong Kong Police authorities, you will need to apply for 'The Certificate of No Criminal Conviction, from 14th Floor, Arsenal House, Police Headquarters, 1 Arsenal Street, Wanchai, Hong Kong.

Other countries

You should make your own enquiries about obtaining a police certificate either from the police in that country or nearest embassy as appropriate.

If you are unable to provide a police certificate, the Education Council will accept a statutory declaration as a last resort and only for countries where a police clearance certificate is unobtainable.

The statutory declaration must be recent, and must detail and provide evidence of your attempts to obtain a police certificate. It needs to state that you have not been convicted or found guilty of any offences against the law of that country or have not been charged with any offence against the law in that country. It must be signed by a solicitor, Justice of the Peace or notary public.